Thursday, May 17, 2012

Washi Tape Holder with Clipboard Wood





Hello Zutter fans.  Cheryl here again to share my new little happy place on my desk.  This  just makes me smile to look at it.   I’ve seen some really fancy washi tape holders and didn’t want to pay the fancy price tag for a few I’ve seen; so, I went through my stash to see what I had to make one myself.   I just happened to have some Zutter Clipboard Wood in my supplies and I have The Zutter Kutter in my tool arsenal that I knew would cut the Zutter Clipboard Wood.  I’m finding more and more uses for this tool and loved that I didn’t have to find the electric power tools to cut this. 
I started with 3x4 and 6x6 Zutter Clipboard Wood.  I cut the 3x4 wood into two pieces 2x4.
I cut 1” off the 6x6 Zutter Clipboard Wood and then scored at 3” by only cutting to the 3rd dial on The Zutter Kutter.



After my pieces were cut, I used Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive to glue the sides together.  I loved that the Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive dried quick enough that I only had to old it for a minute or two and I didn’t have to clamp anything. 
I used an adhesive eraser to remove any glue seepage from my wood joints.
I love working with the Zutter Clipboard Wood because it is strong and yet so easy to sand and work with.  I sanded down the edges and joints. 
I’ve had some very special Washi Tape that was gifted to me by sister designer Jasmine Low.  I’ve used a little of it, but have been hoarding it.  I don’t think that is what Jasmine really meant for me to do with it, so I have decided to really use it and enjoy using it.  After wiping all the sanding dust off by box, I covered it with random strips of Washi tape.   I did add a few small pieces from a retro collection I found at Paper Source too for a little contrast. 
To further protect my tape holder, I coated the taped box with Helmar Decoupage and then sealed it with Helmar Krystal Kote Gloss.   Anyone that has seen my desk in the middle of a project knows that I mist, ink, paint, and basically make a mess of anything in, on, and around my desk when I’m working.  I am a messy artist (and I am embracing that)!  Now I know my little happy tape holder will be protected and can easily be wiped off.
Here is a picture of the backside.  I love that these tapes all fit perfectly in my Zutter Clipboard Wood box.
So, I hope you will take away some life lessons from my project.  #1.   Use what you have.  Go through your stash and see what you may already have before buying something new.   #2.  Look at products in your stash in a new light.   How can I take that product and alter, cut, or modify it to be something new.   Instead of trying to find the right size wood at a lumbar store or my husband’s tool shed, I was able to find a perfectly good product right in my studio.  I was able to create something I wanted for my desk out of two Zutter Clipboard Wood covers.   While these make great album covers, they make a great wood base too.   Please share with us if you find a unique way to use the Zutter Clipboard Wood.  

Posted by Cheryl Boglioli from Cheryl’s Window 


Other Supplies Used


  • Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive
  • Helmar Decoupage and Craft Paste
  • Helmar Krystal Kote Gloss
  • Washi Tape designed by Jasmine Low

7 comments:

Lalo said...

WHAT THE HECK!!! SO AWESOME!!!

Jackie said...

Very cute, Love the use of the tape on the box :) Great job Cheryl :)

Nicole Martel said...

Oh, lovely box!!!

Unknown said...

this is so clever. thanks for sharing.

Amy Lynne said...

This is fabulous! Great idea!!:)

Fleursbydesign said...

So awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Love this! What a great use for the clipboard wood! I definitely need to creat this for my growing stash of washi tapes! :)